Boil the macaroni in milk;
put in the stew-pan butter, cheese, and seasoning;
when melted, pour into the macaroni, putting breadcrumbs over, which brown before the fire all together.
– No measurements included in recipe.
- 4 cups whole milk
- ½ lb pasta (elbow macaroni, 2 to 2 ½ cups)
- 4 tbsps butter ? Tasty tip
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (packed, grated, about ½ pound)
- ground black pepper (Freshly)
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- cayenne (optional)
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese comes from 1861 Civil War recipes cookbook “Civil War Recipes: Receipts from the Pages of Godey’s Lady’s Book“.