With Thanksgiving on the way, we think a pumpkin recipe is in order!
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
796mL can Pure Pumpkin
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded bran cereal
3 cups plain flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts or raisins (sultanas) or a mixture of both (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line two 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pans with parchment or lightly oil.
2. In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, eggs, oil, pure pumpkin and milk. Stir in orange zest and bran cereal.
3. In another bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices until combined. With a wooden spoon, stir dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture just until blended and stir in nuts and raisins.
4. Divide evenly into prepared pans, smoothing the tops. Run a knife along the centre of each loaf lengthwise, making an incision about 1cm (1 inch) deep.
5. Bake loaves on centre rack for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.