Since summer is coming to the southern hemisphere, I wanted to focus on something light and yummy, which is why I’ve chosen this mousse with white chocolate. I have used the same recipe to prepare milk or dark chocolate mousse as well, so you can choose your favorite type of chocolate, or better yet, make a triple mousse, served in tall clear dessert glasses, so all of the layers are visible and tempting!
Remember, with chocolate mousse, it’s important to use good quality chocolate because the taste of the mousse depends on it completely. Then, after you pick your favorite chocolate, you just need to get the cream and eggs! That’s why I love this dessert so much, it has three major ingredients, so for once you will won’t need a huge shopping list and plan ahead of time. Great, huh?
- 1 1/5 cups (500 grams, or 18 oz) heavy whipping cream
- 6oz (170 grams) white chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp (10 grams) gelatin
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 ml) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, cut into pieces
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed.
- Place the cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Let it stand for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, beat the egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl, until lightly yellow. Heat up the milk over medium heat until it simmers. Gently pour the hot milk over the egg yolks as you whisk constantly. Transfer the milk-egg yolk mixture back to the saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens (2-3 minutes). I would recommend to use a non stick saucepan, as this way the chances of burning the egg mixture will be less.
- Add the gelatin to the hot milk-egg yolk mixture and mix well.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl. Pour the hot milk mixture over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, gently fold the whipping cream to the chocolate mixture and mix with rubber spatula until well combined.
- Spoon some of the mousse in your serving glasses (up to half of the glass). Add one layer of bananas. Fill the rest of the cup with chocolate mousse. Repeat the same with all of your serving cups, until the mousse is up. You may add more or less bananas, depending on your preferences. Garnish with fresh fruits, grated chocolate, nuts or whipping cream.
- Serve cooled.